Nearly two years ago UMR-ACUHO began the 50 for 50 campaign to coincide with the 50th Anniversary Conference in St. Paul, Minnesota in November of 2019. The goal of the 50 for 50 campaign was to serve as the launching pad for three scholarship opportunities:
- The UMR-ACUHO Mid-Level Scholarship. This new scholarship will be exclusively for UMR mid-level professionals to attend ACUHO-I professional development events such as the Mid-Level Institute, NHTI, the Annual Conference, etc.
- A Development Grant for members with historically marginalized identities to pursue a conference opportunity of their choosing sponsored by ACUHO-I. The long-term goal of this new scholarship will be to award this to several members annually.
- Increasing the number of the existing First Time Attendee Scholarships to the ACUHO-I Annual Conference and Exposition from 1 to 3.
Through the generosity of UMR members past and present, several corporate sponsors, and the coordinated efforts of our Past Presidents, the 50 for 50 campaign raised $52,439.64. On behalf of these future scholarship recipients, thank you, thank you, thank you.
As a part of the 50 for 50 campaign, the Gaber Leadership Scholarship was established in 2019 by Elsie Gaber in recognition of UMR-ACUHO’s 50th Anniversary and Ron Gaber, President of UMR-ACUHO in 1980-1981. The Gaber Leadership Scholarship Endowment is used exclusively to support awards for first-time attendee recipients to attend the ACUHO-I STARS College. Olivia Williams, from the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, was selected as the first recipient of the Gaber Leadership Scholarship in 2020. As STARS College has been cancelled for this year, this award will be honored in 2021 if Olivia is able to attend and a 2021 recipient will also be selected.
Based on the Endowment funds available, the UMR Executive Board determined that initially we will be moving forward with the following scholarships:
- $1000 Access for Excellence, awarded to a member for a historically marginalized group to attend an ACUHO-I sponsored event of their choice.
- An additional $1000 First Time Attendee Scholarship to attend the ACUHO-I conference
Information about these scholarships, including the application process, will be shared at a future date and be included in our scholarship section of our website.